Getting started checklist
We assume you have and will bring your own wifi-enabled laptop. We have large monitors, full-size keyboards and mice if you wish. Your other computer will be the cloud 🙂
If you’ve never been a research assistant before (or even if you have), consider reading Prof. Fox’s “How to Have a Bad Research Internship” for some humorous suggestions.
Make sure you have done the following:
- Received an email invite to join our Slack group, and joined it. Please ensure your Slack profile contains your real first and last name and a recent photo of you—since not everyone knows everyone else, this will help us put faces to names.
- Introduce yourself on the #general channel of our Slack, including (important) posting your GitHub username to the #general channel on Slack, as we often need it to add you to project-specific, non-public GitHub repos, or to the ACELab org on GitHub. (If you don’t have a GitHub account, create one now; it’s free and a life skill/life tool for anyone involved with software at any level, and students even get some premium features for free.)
- If you are not a current UC Berkeley student/affiliate, and you are not on an “international visitor” program: fill out the forms in this zipfile as follows:
- Non-employee data form: leave “employee ID” blank
- Cal 1 Card form: just fill in name and date (not necessary if you’ve worked with us before and already have a Cal 1 Card)
- Patent Acknowledgment: read but don’t sign; you must sign while on campus in the presence of a campus staff person
- Workers Comp form: only fill out bottom part (“to be completed by volunteer”). For “Is volunteer work related to course work”, please indicate no.
- Waiver of liability. If you’re under 18 as of the start of work, your parent or guardian must also sign & date.
- If you’re under 18 as of your first day of work, you must also obtain a work permit (usually from your high school) and include a copy of it.
Where on campus is the ACE Lab?
The ACE Lab is the administrative name of our group. The physical place we all sit is the Berkeley Institute of Design, which is located in room 360, Hearst Memorial Mining Building.
Here’s walking/bike directions from the Downtown Berkeley BART station, which we recommend as the best way to get to campus (parking is extremely scarce and expensive).
First day of work/orientation
Please bring all the signed and filled-out forms to your first day of work, plus a $25 personal check (cash is not accepted) made out to “UC Regents” for the Cal 1 card fee if you don’t already have a Cal 1 ID card.
On your first day, you should first come to the lab (360 Hearst Mining Building) so you can:
- Fill out a card key access form to make sure you can access the lab itself and the Hearst Mining Building at all hours (your Cal 1 card will serve as your card key). To complete the form you will need to have your Cal 1 card handy, since you must provide the first 6 digits on the back of the card. The form should be signed by Prof. Bjoern Hartmann and submitted to Jennifer in 298 Hearst.
- Verify that you can connect successfully to the CalVisitor Wifi network. (Wired Ethernet connections won’t work for various reasons.) Once your CalNet ID is active, you should be able to login to the AirBears2 network.
- We’ll then send you to Krystle Bartholomew (if your last name begins with A-L) or Annette Morales (last names M-Z) in 205 Cory Hall to submit your documentation and the $25 check for your Cal 1 card
- Finally, if you are not a current Cal student and/or don’t have a Cal 1 ID card, visit the Cal 1 card office to get your card (your faculty host will give you the signed authorization form you must present)
We do human-subjects experiments to evaluate our work. All students involved in handling data from such experiments must complete basic online CITI training. Go through the registration and login process, and then take the course “Group 2 Social Behavioral Human Research“. When you complete it, keep the email that contains the proof that you passed (a link to a PDF Certificate of Completion).