Getting hired as a paid studentMost of our undergrads work under a Student Assistant III title. Your faculty supervisor will probably have to submit a search waiver. They will need your SID#, email, and a current CV/résumé. Faculty:
The new ERSO Student Assistant Hire & Recruitment Module is now available on the ERSO Intranet (or directly accessed here).
Please submit all Student Assistant recruitment, hire and waiver requests electronically. For help:
CITI TrainingWe often do human-subjects experiments to evaluate our work. All students involved in handling data from such experiments must complete basic online CITI training. Go through the registration and login process, and then take the course “Group 2 Social Behavioral Human Research”. When you complete it, keep the email that contains the proof that you passed (a link to a PDF Certificate of Completion), and contact your faculty advisor to have your certificate added to this folder, so it can be easily located when we apply for new protocols.
Card key access to BiD LabYou will first need to complete a bit of required safety training—the cardkey form will ask you to upload the files showing completion of these brief online modules, which you can search for here:
- EHS 101 – Fundamentals of Laboratory Safety
- EHS 207 – UC Berkeley Guidelines on Protecting Workers From COVID-19 (revised 7/7/21)
- EHS 502 – Workplace Safety Program
- Unless your faculty advisor has directed otherwise, for “appointment end date” use the last day of next summer, or your graduation date, whichever is earlier
- Unless your faculty advisor has directed otherwise, that person is also your “supervisor”
- For “which rooms do you need access”, use “360-364 HMMB (BiD Lab)“
- For “Lab safety contact”, use the person named above
Grant acknowledgment languageUse the following language to acknowledge support when writing papers: For work performed until June 30, 2022, under the LEARNER Lab (CELL/OPR) grant: This work was supported [in part] by grant #OPR19186 from the California Education Learning Lab (calearninglab.org), an initiative of the California Governor’s Office of Planning and Research.
- The internal chart string for this grant is: 70283-23797-44–EHAXF
- The internal chart string for this grant is: [TBA]
Registering for conference travelIt’s often easier to get your registration and travel arrangements made directly and charged to the appropriate grant. Ask your advisor. If you are writing papers about work supported by the mastery-based learning grant, please acknowledge them using this language. Include “in part” if your work was also supported by other funds (fellowship, GSR, etc.)
Important: If your travel is related to the CELL/OPR grantAll travel that you plan to charge to this grant must be pre-approved by OPR. Contact your faculty advisor/PI for help with this. Also, because of AB1887, which prohibits state funds for traveling to states with anti-LGBTQ+ policies, the OPR grant cannot be used for research-related travel to any of the following states:
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Getting reimbursed for a purchase, conference travel, etc.Follow these instructions. Supporting/identifying Students/Staff/Faculty possibly in distress
- Review the Gold Folder, a tool to assist faculty and staff in helping someone in distress.
- UCB Counseling & Psychological Services provides various mental health and counseling services for students including: